SENIOR LIBRARY ASSISTANT
Position: Senior Library Assistant
Department: Primarily Lending Services
Pay Rate: Range starts at $18.93/hr
Supervised by: Customer Experience Manager
Nature of Work
Welcomes patrons and sets the tone for a great library experience. Provides customer service in circulation functions to patrons at the Lending Services desk and shares in administrative responsibilities. Proactively assists patrons in finding and using library resources. Staffs additional service points including Youth Services. Work is performed with some independent judgment and initiative.
- Provides exemplary customer service at multiple service points
- Connects patrons with library programs, promotions, and services
- Performs circulation activities including registering new borrowers, checking items in/out, and holds management
- Performs materials handling tasks including packing/unpacking interlibrary loan deliveries, sorting, and routing materials to various locations
- Assists patrons with downloading e-books and audio books and with copy machines
- Assists patrons in finding and selecting books and other resources; provides instruction in using the library catalog
- Maintains displays and materials supplies such as bulletin board, tax forms, office supplies, promotional flyers, and other items
- Prepares overdue notices and invoices
- Oversees mending, damaged, and missing items
- Resolves customer complaints and concerns
- Provides support in the planning, preparation and presentation of programs, presentations, outreach activities, and displays
- Opens and closes designated areas. Ensures a safe and positive environment for patrons
- Customer-focused and friendly
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas and thoughts both verbally and in writing
- Ability to adapt to changing needs and to recognize and set priorities
- Knowledge and skill in digital literacy, including basic online search tools and strategies
- Familiarity with a variety of authors and literature
- Ability to use diplomacy and tact to establish and maintain relationships with library patrons and employees
- Ability to withstand long periods of standing and walking. Ability to perform tasks requiring some bending, lifting, and pushing; sufficient manual dexterity, ability to speak, hear, and vision to perform job-specific tasks
- Ability to use resources and current library and office technologies relevant to the job duties, including Sierra integrated library software and Microsoft Office
- Preferred knowledge of children’s literature and experience working with children and teens
- Education and/or experience relevant to the job responsibilities.
- Ability to work a varied schedule which may change periodically; includes weekends and evenings
This is a full-time position (35 hrs/wk) with benefits.
Curtis Memorial Library is committed to hiring and maintaining a diverse workforce of highly qualified staff to broaden perspectives, promote equity and inclusion, and connect to the breadth of our community. Qualified applicants with racially, ethnically, or culturally diverse identities or backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
To Apply: Please email resume and cover letter to Pam Jenkins at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reviews begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.