Curtis Library to Reopen the Building to Patrons Beginning Friday, August 7 and Saturday, August 8
Curbside Service will Continue Monday through Saturday
For the month of August, Curtis Memorial Library looks forward to welcoming patrons back inside for the first time since March, when the building closed due to Maine CDC directives as part of the COVID-19 shutdown.
The library building will be open for limited browsing and computer use on Fridays in August from 9:30 am to 6:00 pm beginning August 7, and Saturdays in August from 9:30 am to 1:00 pm beginning August 8. Opening additional hours and days will be considered in September.
We’re excited to begin this next phase of carefully reopening the library with the safety of our community and staff our highest priority. The inside of the building will look different, and there are new guidelines in place that we kindly ask all to follow for the care and concern of all who enter the library.
These guidelines are:
- Curbside Pick Up (during library hours under the tent) and the Book Drop (open ‘round the clock) will continue at the Middle Street entrance only.
- 30 patrons will be allowed in the building at one time for a duration of 30 minutes, coming and going through the Reading Garden entrance near the Union Street parking lot.
- The total number of people allowed in the building at one time (patrons and staff) is 50. We are using the PeopleCount app to track the number of people in the building real time. This number will be posted on our website by a person staffing the door so patrons can see how many people are in the building before they decide to travel here/enter.
- All patrons must wear a mask in the library. We have free masks of all sizes available (colorful cloth masks with a personal carry bag made by volunteers, as well as paper masks donated by Lowe’s, Brunswick). Gloves will also be available for those who ask.
- We ask all patrons entering the building to sanitize their hands. Stations are set up at the garden entrance, and at multiple locations throughout the library. Extensive new cleaning protocols and schedules have been established throughout the library, particularly relating to computer and bathroom usage.
- Use of computers is limited to 30 minutes a day.
- Children under the age of 9 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- The Morrell Meeting Room, the 1904 Building, and the Children’s Play and
Technology areas will not be accessible at this time.
- Most chairs have been stored out of the public space to discourage people from staying more than the allotted 30 minutes in the building.
- Public service desks have plexi-glass to add a layer of protection between patrons and staff.
- Collections and computers have been spread out to accommodate best social distancing practices. Floors will be marked in public service areas to help patrons maintain safe distances.
- We have purchased a second self-checkout machine as well as an app that patrons can put on their phones/portable device that allows them to check-out books on their own with no staff interaction.
- We will continue our 4 day quarantine procedures for all incoming materials.
Most importantly, your favorite books are all still here, the staff are all here to help, and we look forward to safely seeing our community INSIDE their library once again!