Curtis Library is testing a new resource for local genealogists. Until June 15 we are providing free access to newspaperarchive.com. This database provides access to historical newspaper across the United States and 19 other countries including Canada, France, the United Kingdom, Germany, and Ireland.
Here’s how to try out this resource (the set-up is tedious but the resource is worth it):
- You must start at the Curtis Library website: www.curtislibrary.com
- Click on the “Research” drop-down (in the upper right corner unless you are on your phone)
- From the drop-down, click on “Genealogy”
- On the right side of the Genealogy page, you will see logos for different genealogy databases provided by the library
- Scroll down – the last logo/link should be for newspaperarchive
- Click on newspaperarchive
- On the first page that comes up you will need to put in your library card number
- On the next page that comes up you will need to go the bottom of the page where it says “Don’t have an account? Register” Click on “Register”
- You will need to put in your first name, last name and a password
- The software will then send you an email confirming your email address (if you don’t see your email, check your spam/clutter box)
- Click on that and FINALLY you can sign in!
- After this process your sign in will just require your email and password (thank heavens!)
Please try out this resources and email Liz Doucett (email@example.com) if you like it and would like to see the library continue getting the database. You have until June 15 to try it out so give it a whirl!